No matter how healthy you are or how strong your body, the winter months can take their toll. Viruses linger in the air, ready to pounce on even the strongest athlete. This can leave you feeling too drained and sick to keep up your regular workout routine. But there is a way to remain healthy all winter long! All you need is the right supplements.
Must-Have Supplements for Winter
You can keep your body strong and ward off any bugs making the rounds by incorporating supplements into your winter diet. Here's a list of 10 supplements that can keep you going strong this winter:
- Vitamin D. This prohormone helps to regulate every system in the body. Unfortunately, most of us fail to get enough naturally, so using a supplement is a must to keeping your entire body working in sync.
- Rhodiola Roseo. Taking 300-700 mg every morning can help lower your stress levels and keep your body from succumbing to illness.
- Reishi. Taking just 3 mg per day has been shown to decrease illness in athletes by as much as 20 percent. This is a wonderful immune boosting supplement since it works to trick the immune system into thinking you are getting sick when you aren’t, which heightens the immune system and makes it more alert to invaders that could make you sick.
- Andrographis Paniculata. A potent immune boosting herb, it has been shown to wipe out a cold within a day or two. By boosting the immune system’s white blood cells, it offers added protection against wintertime bugs.
- Melatonin. Changes in daylight can affect your sleep, which can affect the way you feel. Taking 3 mg about a half hour before bed can help induce a calm sleep that will make you feel fresh and energized in the morning.
- Lemon Balm. The more stressed you are, the more likely you are to get sick. Lemon Balm is a great calming supplement, used to ease irritability, stress and agitation caused by holiday stresses and winter mood fluctuations.
- L-Tyrosine. A great energy booster, this basic supplement helps stop the depletion of energy hormones like dopamine and adrenaline, which you need to keep your workouts strong despite the cold weather and the effects it may have on how you feel.
- Theanine. Taking 100-200 mg of theanine every day can help sharpen your focus and help you keep up with your normal workout routines despite changes winter brings.
- ZMA. Used to help repair and build new muscles while you sleep, ZMA is jam packed with zinc, magnesium and aspartate, which are all known for their cell rebuilding properties.
- Vitamin C. Known for its immune boosting properties, Vitamin C is a must-have supplement to ward off wintertime sniffles.
Stock Up on Supplements
Warding off cold weather viruses isn’t always easy. Even the healthiest athletes can succumb to the common cold or flu. Keeping your immune system strong enough to fight off attacks from these bugs requires adding a few extra supplements to your daily health routine. Depending on your lifestyle and risk factors, using a few of the ones listed above can help you avoid winter health problems and keep your workout routine on track despite any flu epidemics you may face at home, or at work.
To find the absolute best supplements for the serious athlete, turn to ProLine Sports Nutrition, the leader in athletic supplements for the serious endurance athlete. We've got everything you need to stay healthy this winter. Swing by the store or shop online today!